Monday, June 8, 2009

Akwaaba!

Hi everyone! I'm trying to update as often as possible, but the internet has been down for a few days. I had an amazing weekend! Saturday we hired the Unite for Sight van and Bismarck drove us to the Volta Region (about 5 hours away) to visit the sacred mona monkey sanctuary and the Wli waterfall. I expected both of these places to be touristy and filled with Bohemian Europeans, but they were not at all. When we got to the monkey sanctuary, it was in a very rural village. People were just doing their day-to-day activities and we paid a lady to walk us into the forest where the monkeys hang out. I bought some bananas from a lady selling them on the roadside, and when I went into the forest, monkeys just came right up to me and peeled the bananas and ate from my hand. It was the coolest thing ever!

Wli waterfall was cool too. It was a 40 minute hike through the forest to get to the falls, but it was breathtaking. It was the largest waterfall I've ever seen. It is also a bat sanctuary, and at one point, hundreds of bats came out from the cliff face and just filled the sky. They were far enough away for it to be exciting and not scary.

On Sunday, we caught a taxi (terrifying!) to Bojo beach. The beach is so nice; it was just overcast enough to not be excrutiatingly hot. We didn't go in the water much because there was a pretty strong undertow. At one point I waded in to cool off a little, got caught in an undertow, and ended up losing my glasses. Good thing I'm working with an eye clinic; I'm going to try to see about replacing them tomorrow.

Outreach is business as usual. We go to a different village every day. Today we were in Sege-Nakomkorpe in the Volta Region. We saw about 95 patients, most of them students. I'm enjoying outreach. I've been picking up little snippets of the local languages. They speak Ewe in the Volta region, and I've learned to say "Nye nkor nye Rikki. Me tso America." The people love that someone actually gives a crap about their language and their culture. I've been asking the village elders about their tribal scarring patterns and their traditional remedies.

Tomorrow I am going to the clinic to observe surgeries all day. Afterwards we might go to the art market. I tried fufu today. Pretty tasty. I'm starting to be comfortable eating the street food, because everyone else has been doing it and they're not sick. I also bought some sweet bread and pineapple. I will, however, be steering clear of the "bushmeat," which is giant rat. We see it hanging by its tail from shops on the street. Grotesque.

7 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a great weekend. Sorry to hear about your glasses man. I hope you can find a spare. I'll cross my fingers for you. Good luck with the street food. Love you lots please be safe and have a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ewwwwww stay away from bushmeat! Glad you are enjoying yourself! I hate that you lost your glasses. I am blind without mine. I hope you had an extra pair. The time is already flying by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ummmm yucktastic folks!!!!! giant prehistoric ratty!!! blah! anyway... i'm glad that you are having fun... and it sounds like you are being a bit of an anthropologist... you really do give a crap about everyone! :) i love you... glad you are having fun.. i'll write more later. MUAH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Missy! I just wanted to write to say that you are doing an incredible service to all of those people that you are helping, and the great thing is that you get to see and experience some wonderful things along the way. We love you, miss you, and are very proud of you! I hope that you are being extremely careful, always keeping check of everything and everyone around you. Sam is doing okay, I think. I talked to him today, and he weems to be keeping himself busy. I think I've even talked him into coming down here a little earlier than planned this weekend, so that he can go with Tater and I out on the boat and then out to eat Saturday night. Sunday, mom and dad are supposed to be home really early in the morning, so we're planning on making dad a late Father's Day lunch on Sunday, after they get some much-needed sleep. We will miss you on Father's Day, but you'll be home soon, and you can show us pictures and tell us all about your trip. :) You should really do a "Homeward-Bound Countdown" on here, to help everyone keep up with when you're coming home! (I suppose I could just ask someone and then put it on my calendar, right?) Talk to you soon!
    Lots of love,
    Jennifer, Tater, Abby, & Katie
    P.S. I think we've finally set the date!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Note about previous comment):
    He "SEEMS" to be keeping himself busy, NOT "weems"! My bad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, I hope you update us soon!! I'm glad the monkey ran past you yesterday. THEY ARE WILD ANIMALS YOU KNOW!!! You're just about half way!!! Hope you had some good Indian food night and lots of it. When you get home will will have something home cooked ready for you. They are looking for a regular room for Wendell so he's really doing well right now. Take care and be very careful. Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO I HAVE A FEW TYPOS!!!!

    ReplyDelete